- 688,096 Americans are living with a brain tumor today.
- 550,042 tumors are benign
- 138,054 tumors are malignant
- An estimated 69,720 people will receive primary brain tumor diagnoses this year.
- 45,160 will be benign
- 24,170 will be malignant
- Male: 55.2%
- Female: 44.8%
- The average survival rate for all malignant brain tumor patients is 33.8%.
- Male: 32.4%
- Female: 35.5%
- An estimated 14,080 people will die from brain cancer in 2013.
- Male: 7,930
- Female: 6,150
Brain Tumors in Adults
- The most prevalent brain tumor types in adults:
- Gliomas, such as glioblastoma multiforme, ependymomas, astrocytomas, and oligodendrogliomas
Brain Tumors in Children
- An estimated 4,300 children will receive brain tumor diagnoses this year.
- The average survival rate for all children with malignant brain tumors is 66%.
- Brain tumors are the leading cause of cancer-related deaths in children under 10, and the second leading cause of cancer-related deaths in children under 20.
- The most prevalent brain tumor types in children: